We Moved!


We Moved! We Moved! We Moved!

Please reset your bookmarks and follow the new blog:




14.2.08

Guest Blog from Vintage-A-Peel

My good friend from across the ocean, Liz, wrote a succinct and thoughtful summation on the recent Ossie Clark show that showed earlier this week in London. Liz runs the website Vintage-A-Peel and her corresponding blog that this article came from. I asked her permission to re-print it in full as a guest blogger here at The Shrimpton Couture Blog and she graciously has permitted me to do so. Liz is a bit of an expert on all things British Boutique era and I am happy to have her thoughts posted here for all of you to share! I also strongly agree with her that the show did not in any way live up to the original and I personally will continue to collect/love/hoard my own little portion of the magic that was the original Ossie Clark

_____________________________________________________

Ossie Clark's Sons May Sue....




My flatmate left this article out this morning for me, and I must admit that I punched the air a little bit. I can't even begin to imagine how painful this all must be for them, it's painful enough as a fan of the great man himself, to see your father's memory being tainted and exploited by a tacky relaunch. I also read an article with Celia in the Independent where she skirted around the gross insult that this relaunch is with her trademark steely tact. Yet, in an article in the ES magazine (which oddly fell into my hands on the tube on Sunday night, and entertained me when I noticed the fallen frayed hem on one of the dresses in the background) the twosome spearheading this revival bleated on about how Celia had come around to the idea.

"Celia came along to meet Av and she was absolutely fine with it."

Not the impression I got, that's for sure. Especially in light of today's news.

Anyway, to the collection itself. The snippets I have seen have proved to me that a substantial proportion of the collection is a poor remake of some of Ossie's original designs. The yellow plunge neck which seems to be being used as the key image so far, more resembles one of his Model T Ford plunge necks with some of the neckline stitched up (you see them on ebay occasionally, courtesy of some very modest original owners). Like they designed with the big plunge in mind, but chickened out at the last minute (either that or poor cutting meant it didn't sit properly on the body and modifications needed to be made).



Everything else? Yawn. Sorry, most of it looks like bog standard attempts at avant-garde-inspired-by-Ossie (like this puffball of a piece below). The designer is not, as some lackey who posted on my blog a while ago likes to insist, showing any independence of thought or proving to me that he is a creative and powerful new talent in the design world. He may well be, but how am I suppose to know that from all this bobbins?



Oh and that brings me to the prints. Now I know Celia couldn't or wouldn't be involved, and I'd have been just as aghast if they'd attempted to duplicate her work but.....seriously? Is this the best they could get? Smudgy, tie-dyed blobs in super dull and dreary colours? I don't suppose I'd particularly notice the prints in any other collection but when it's attempting to recreate the Ossie Clark magic, they really do draw the eye and then beat it with a big, dull stick.

I'm a cynic I know, and cynical folks out there will smirk and comment that I always set out to loathe this collection. They'd be right. But I'm also prepared to admit when I've been wrong. But this time, I wasn't wrong. My instincts were all right. This wasn't about the creation of new and beautiful works of art inspired by the legacy of Ossie. This wasn't even the duplication-fest I thought it would be. It's worse than that, it's fallen between the two stools very, very hard on its bum.

Nice try, but no biscuit.

Price on request? Please! Spend your money on an original. They'll be a lot cheaper, last a lot longer and you know what? Ossie Clark actually designed them.

1 comment:

WendyB said...

I'll come right out and say that I'm biased about this (and I'm also a big collector of vintage Ossie) but: What are they suing about? Decades ago, their father, who was too busy taking drugs to ever run a business properly, sold the rights to his name and company because he was out of money. This is nothing new. Celia just wants a chunk of money now that there's some to be had. I am really not impressed by the fact that she secured her Topshop deal by regurgitating the designs she did for Ossie without having the rights to them. It seems to me that she's made a good chunk of money by exploiting her relationship to Ossie....would anyone have been interested in her otherwise? She's just greedy for more now that she sees someone with deep pockets.

Web Analytics